Sethvir is a member of the Fellowship of Seven. He is a corporeal Sorcerer who spends most of his time in Althain Tower. He is consistently described as dreamy, vague, and like someone's grandfather, but looking past first impressions reveals that his wit and intellect are incredibly sharp. Sethvir wears maroon velvet robes with interlaced black cord and a belt stitched with river pearls. He has blue-green eyes, a saucy nose, and a beard. He is often referred to as the Warden of Althain.
Although no one Fellowship member can be deemed "the leader", Sethvir tends to be the most apt to organize the group, through his use of the earth link, which allows him to track disparate events all over the worlds.
Sethvir is the one to whom Shehane Althain granted guardianship of Althain Tower in Third Age 5100, and he has held this responsibility since the disappearance of the Paravians. At the moment he embraced the earth link, he achieved forgiveness for his past.
|Spoiler warning: Contains plot elements from Stormed Fortress.|
Sethvir was present at the inquiry into Davien's unilateral actions, at Althain Tower in Third Age 5129. Still new to his role as Warden, he warns too late of Shehane Althain's active wards as Davien storms out of the meeting. Davien's encounter with the wards would have irrevocably disbarred his presence on Athera and destroyed the drakes' binding on the Fellowship. To prevent this catastrophe, the other Sorcerers acted first to render Davien discorporate.
Role in the Story
Given the prominent role that this character plays in the story, plot events have been organized onto separate pages for each book.
- Curse of the Mistwraith
- Ships of Merior
- Warhost of Vastmark
- Fugitive Prince
- Grand Conspiracy
- Peril's Gate
- Traitor's Knot
- Stormed Fortress
- Initiate's Trial
- Destiny's Conflict
- In Curse of the Mistwraith, Asandir calls Sethvir by his "mortal name", Cal. We later learn that this is short for Calum Quaide Kincaid, although the author never explicitly makes this connection for us.
- Sethvir trained Dari s'Ahelas in the foundational arts of power before she fled to Dascen Elur at the time of the uprising.
- The shirt that Sethvir sews for Arithon's coronation ends up being used as a bandage on Jieret after the Battle of Strakewood.
- A folio containing Sethvir's patterns of geometry can be found in the library at Kewar Tunnel.
- Sethvir has a lengthy scar that was caused by a necromancer's knife.
- Unlike Ciladis, who believed that a view of the skies encouraged thought, Sethvir only communes with the heavens when very troubled.
|Spoiler warning: Contains plot elements from Destiny's Conflict.|
- Forum Post on August 11, 2008