Erdane is a city in Camris, Tysan. It sits at the crossroads where the Great West Road intersects with a road running from the north at Miralt into the kingdom of Havish to the south. Because Erdane predates the uprising, the townsfolk have access to records which tell of the sun and rule by the clansmen. The people of Erdane are described as overzealous in their fear of sorcery and witchcraft.
|"For unlike the commoners and the craftsmen, the Lord Elect of Erdane had access to archives that detailed a history of conspiracy and murder. To him [...] the sun was no myth, but a harbinger of sorcery and certain doom."|
- The Grand West Gate is a Paravian-made entrance on the west side of the city.
- There are two districts mentioned in the story: the artisans' district and the disreputable wall district (crumbling tenements by the west wall). The Four Ravens is a seedy inn located in the wall district.
- A hidden enclave of sorcery-friendly humans live somewhere in the slums of the wall district, but the exact location (through an enspelled archway) is magically protected. The house of Enithen Tuer can be found here.
Role in the Story
|Spoiler warning: Contains plot elements from multiple books in the series.|
Curse of the Mistwraith
Third Age 5637: Asandir, Dakar, and the half-brothers stay at the home of Enithen Tuer during their trip to Althain Tower. It is here that Elaira first meets them. Seeking to break Asandir's geas, Arithon enters the Four Ravens. He barely escapes with his life, thanks to Elaira and Felirin.
Ships of Merior
Third Age 5645: The Mayor of Erdane sets an edict to draw and quarter Lysaer when he learns of the plan to restore Avenor, but this order is withdrawn when Lysaer's caravan stumbles into the city weeks later, the victim of a clan raid.
Warhost of Vastmark
Third Age 5647: A delegation of Tysan's city mayors and trade ministers meet here to acknowledge Lysaer's right of succession to high kingship. They draft the charter underwritten by Town Law, angered by the piracy that caused the ransom to be collected twice.
Third Age 5652: It is revealed that a generations-old faction in Erdane is aware that clan bloodlines are irreplaceable. This faction assists the Alliance of Light, using the latter group's aims to further their own goals of eliminating clan bloodlines and overturning the Compact.
Third Age 5923: Seshkrozchiel's and Davien's attempts to heal Kathtairr trigger changes in resonance across the planet. Arithon senses the destruction caused in Erdane, where True Sect had built without regards to the flux lanes.
Third Age 5923: It is revealed that Sulfin Evend was responsible for the transfer of Sunwheel power to Erdane after Lysaer refused to rebuild Avenor. These events ultimately led to the Great Schism and the establishment of the True Sect's High Temple of the Light.
- At the beginning of Curse of the Mistwraith, no Koriathain enchantresses have entered the city in over four hundred years.
- Headhunter officers are entitled to half price lodgings within the city.
- The first hint about the existence of the Lost Isles of Min Pierens comes from a note in the margin of a merchant's lading list, found in Erdane's archives.
- © Janny Wurts, Curse of the Mistwraith, p. 136 (US-Hardback)