It has traditionally been ruled by the s'Ahelas bloodline, whose gift is farsight. Although both Arithon and Lysaer share the s'Ahelas bloodline, they would not be considered as Fellowship-sanctioned heirs to Shand, as long as there are others of s'Ahelas lineage alive on Dascen Elur. People who inhabit Shand are referred to as Shandians.
Relationship to West Shand
East Shand, as a High Kindgom is a separate entity from West Shand, which was long ruled by Dragons. Paravians ruled East Shand starting in the Second Age, and eventually ruled West Shand as well. When humans arrived in Third Age 1, a High Kingdom was established in East Shand, with West Shand remaining under Paravian rule. Mankind eventually took over West Shand as Paravian presence waned.
The heraldic device of Shand has changed throughout the years.
- During the Age of Dragons, West Shand (under the Drakish Protectorate) used a black dragon on gold.
- During the Second Age, Paravians inhabited East Shand and used a crescent moon on a violet field.
- After the construction of the Paravian fortress at Earle in the Second Age, Paravians occupied both West Shand and East Shand. The device changed to a combined falcon and crescent moon on a violet field.
- Human high kings were installed in East Shand in Third Age 1, resulting in no change to the device.
- West Shand converted from Paravian to human rule circa Third Age 670 (under Amalgamate Territores). In reunification, married geometric gold and purple chevrons (the colors of both territories) were adopted as a device. The chevron device is symbolically temporary, for if Paravians returned to reclaim West Shand or drakes chose to re-establish influence there, the devices would revert.
- Being near the equator, Shand is the most temperate of the five kingdoms.
- Though no details have been provided yet, West Shand separated from Shand, and eventually reunified.
- In Ships of Merior, it's stated that spices from Shand are used to cover the stink of condemned men in the Jaelot prison.
- Koriani healers are highly skilled, and the only ones versed in the balanced use of opposing forces.
- During a state ceremony in Traitor's Knot, the High Earl wears the gold and purple device on his tabard, but his youngest son displays the moon and falcon device on his shield.
Shand on the Interactive Map